V1: Why the tortoise got its shell
Since the time a mountain
was eased onto
my philanthropic back,
I turned a nomad
home is where I am alive,
and so I carry my heart, my beak,
eyes, innards, skin and soul,
so no hope, nor fears are left behind
Home is somewhere to hide
my bruised fingers
from when I touched the fire
of your cardinal desire
My shell, polished into
brooches and necklaces,
combs, hairpins, frames for eyeglasses
delicate works of bekko art.
A sour old man's curse, this home, mine
to wear as a wedding present that never arrived,
weighing down on my need to roam,
to not run in the race
oh, to be a nomad.
V2: Why the tortoise got its shell
Since the time a mountain
was eased onto
my back,
I turned a nomad
home is the weight that keeps me
tethered to this earth
I carry my heart, my beak,
even the hollow places where hope used to live
nothing escapes. Nothing is left to chance.
Home is somewhere to hide
my bruised fingers
from when you touched the fire
of your cardinal desire.
This home, a sour old man's curse,
I wear it like a wedding gift that never arrived,
weighing down on my need to roam,
to not run in the race, to simply drift,
the way a nomad does.
No comments:
Post a Comment